Chickpea salad is a simple and fresh tapa which main ingredient is chickpeas. The ingredients to accompany chickpeas can be adjusted to your taste, there is no definite recipe to make it. We have prepared the salad with red and green pepper, red onion, tomato and hard-boiled egg. And a good dressing made with olive oil, white wine vinegar and salt is never to be missed.
In Spain there is a wide variety of chickpeas to be found at the markets; one of the preferred types is called Pedrosillano, name deriving from the municipality of Pedrosillo el Ralo, region La Armuña, Salamanca, where it’s grown.
This variety is one of the most appreciated for its thin skin, high nutritional value, great taste and buttery texture. It also has a lower caliber which makes it perfect to be used in salads, although they are a true delicacy in warm dishes such as chickpeas stews like cocido madrileño as well.
Another remarkable aspect of this variety is after cooking the skin does not loosen from the chickpea grain, what makes them much more palatable. When the heat sets in it’s difficult to go on enjoying the beloved spoon recipes (the way Spaniards call the ever popular warm stews prepared with legumes or soups). Therefore we share this fantastic tapa for a summery version of chickpeas, for not to stop enjoying our legumes at any time of the year.
- ½ cup dried chickpeas (uncooked)
- 1 Italian green pepper
- 1 Italian red pepper
- ½ small red onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Soak the chickpeas in water and a pinch of salt overnight. The ideal soaking time is 8-10 hours.
- The next day drain and wash with water, set aside.
- In a medium pot boil the chickpeas with enough water to cover them, for 1 hour or until they are tender. You migh have to add some water to compensate for evaporation and soaking.
- Drain and wash under cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Finely chop the peppers, onion and tomato.
- In a bowl mix vinegar with salt until fully integrated. Pour the olive oil and whisk until you get an homogeneous mixture.
- In a medium bowl mix the chopped vegetables along with the dressing.
- Add the dressing to the boiled chickpeas and toss thoroughly to coat.
- Transfer the chickpea salad to serving bowls and garnish with chopped hard-boiled egg. Serve.
Tips for a perfect chickpea salad:
- To make the salad dried chickpeas are most often used, which must be previously boiled, but also boiled, canned chickpeas are good to go. The first option is normally favored as the final result is better regarding consistency and flavor.
- It is essential to soak the chickpeas overnight to soften them and reduce the cooking time. It also allows for some enzymatic activity to start, making them much more easily digestible.
- Calculating the exact cooking time in legumes is complicated because it depends on many factors: legumes variety, freshness, soaking time, water hardness… The best possible way to know if they are already cooked through is just to taste them.
- Garnish the salad to your taste, not only with the ingredients shown on the list. Consider it as a starting point, also use tuna, cucumber, anchovies, sweet corn…
- This chickpea salad is best served cold, the best way to enjoy food in hot weather.
This chickpea salad is a perfect, healthy and tasty choice for a refreshing tapa. The onset of warm weather does not necessarily prevent us from enjoying legumes and this tapa is a great example.