Ensalada campera or country salad is a wildly popular dish or tapa in the warmer months. Potato being its basic ingredient, it is usually ganished with varied vegetables. Depending on the cook who makes it, some ingredients might be favored but the most common are tomato, green and red pepper, spring onion, boiled egg and canned albacore/longfin tuna (bonito del norte). Always dressed with a colorful vinaigrette with olive oil and wine vinegar.
Other interesting goodies can be added too, like olives, prawns, peas, corn, depending on the region and personal taste.
Like in every humble and simple recipe, its success always lies in the quality of the ingredients as well as in the perfect cooking time should any of them require boiling. This is a fairly inexpensive tapa except for the bonito del norte.
We recommend the use of good quality canned longfin tuna, or better, white tuna belly. Its incomparable taste and texture will turn your salad into a true delicacy.
Do not forget that the flavors are enhanced if accompanied by a good vinaigrette. Olive oil, wine vinegar and salt will be more than enough to finish this simple and refreshing tapa.
- 3 large new potatoes
- 1 large tomato
- ½ large spring onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- Olives to taste, black or green
- 0,33 pounds (150g) canned longfin tuna
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (95g) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30g) white wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly. Set aside.
- Fill a medium pot with water and place over medium high heat. Once the water boils, add the salt along with the potatoes.
- Boil for 25-30 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. To check the potatoes doneness pierce them with a fork; it must find hardly any resistance to piercing.
- Remove from the heat, strain the potatoes and let cool.
- Fill a small pot with water along with the eggs.
- Place over medium heat, once the water is boiling cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, drain and place in a stream of cold water to stop the cooking.
- Let cool.
- Prepare a bowl large enough for all the ingredients.
- Peel the potatoes, cut into thick slices and then in quarters. Place into the bowl.
- Cut the tomato into wedges and then in halves. Finely dice the spring onion and the peppers. Add to the bowl.
- Lightly crumble the bonito over the salad.
- Peel the eggs and wash under cold water to make sure there are no remains of shells.
- Mix the olive oil, vinegar and salt in a bowl and pour over the salad ingredients, reserving a couple of tablespoons.
- Mix very carefully not to break the potato.
- Transfer the salad to a serving plate and decorate with the egg cut in wedges and the olives.
- Pour the remaining vinaigrette, cover with film and refrigerate until served.
Tips for a perfect ensalada campera or country salad
- Of the various potato varieties in the market some are more fit to be boiled and some to be fried. Regardless of the potato variety, for boiling it is always better to use new potatoes instead of old potatoes.
- The perfect doneness of the eggs is important for a good result. We do not want either runny nor overdone egg yolks. When overdone yolks tend to form a gray-greenish halo on the surface that looks very unattractive. 10-12 minutes of boiling are more than enough to set the yolk.
- A quality product will yield the best result.
- A tip to deseed the red and green pepper: push the top of the pepper inwards and once it is inside, pull it out. The seeds can be removed then all at the same time.
- In case of adding cucumber, peel it to avoid the bitter skin.
- In Spain canned tuna can be found either as whole large bonito pieces or as shreds. Both varieties can be used in this salad; the result is better though with the first option but the second is much cheaper. In both cases always canned in olive oil, the flavor will be much better.
- Add the olives at your choice, black or green, both will be perfect. But ideally pitted.
- It’s best to add the boiled egg once the salad has been seasoned and tossed to prevent the egg yolk from crumbling.
- It’s best to refrigerate the salad for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
- If the salad is to be kept several days in the refrigerator, the potato will gradually lose flavor and texture. It should always be stored in an airtight container.
This ensalada campera or country salad is a classic tapa during the summer in Spain to be found it in many bars and taverns. But you can enjoy it at home too with our recipe, served with a cold beer or a glass of red wine and… any of the other tapas in our blog.